To configure an OAuth App for Github:
This link should take you directly to the page to create a new OAuth App: https://github.com/settings/applications/new
Or you can navigate to it this way:
- Go to the Settings page for your own github account
- Find the tab down the left column that says “Developer Settings”
- Click the tab for
- Click the button
New OAuth App
You now have a form to fill in.
Application name: Fill in something users will recognize.
If it’s a lab assignment, use the name of your app, e.g. lab06-githubid
- Homepage URL: Typically either something like:
Application Description is optional. If you fill it in, users will see it when they are asked to authorize access to their GitHub account.
- Authorization callback URL.
- For some applications this is exactly the same as the Homepage URL.
- For others, it is the Homepage URL plus some extra path. Follow the instructions you were given.
Once you enter this information, you’ll get a client id and a client secret. It is important to NOT put the client secret into a file that is committed to GitHub.
You typically need to enter these values into some configuration file. Follow the instructions you were given.